FUSE: Relationship & Marriage Education
FUSE is a program of the Alabama Healthy Marriage Relationship Initiative (AHMREI). FUSE offers the following healthy relationship classes in the community:
• Relationship Smarts: A class for youth containing information on skills for identifying unhealthy and abusive relationships and information on the use of social media in dating relationships. Topics also include self-esteem building and assertiveness, understanding healthy relationship development, communication skills, conflict/anger/stress management skills, empathy and emotional understanding, and affection and intimacy.
• Smart Steps for Stepfamilies: This curriculum is designed for couples in structurally complex families, focusing on building couple and family strengths while addressing the unique needs and issue that face couples in stepfamilies.
• Together We Can: A class designed for addressing co-parent relationships. The purpose of the program is to equip coparenting mothers and fathers with skills for cooperative coparenting and for making healthy decisions about their relationship.
• ELEVATE: Taking Your Relationship to the Next Level: This couples education curriculum blends practical skills with an understanding of the physiology of human interaction to enhance healthy relationship knowledge and skills. ELEVATE includes practical strategies and tools taught as well as mindfulness practice activities that help couples regulate their heart-brain response to stressful triggers.
• Couples Connecting Mindfully: A curriculum that primarily emphasizes physiology, emotion, and the use of mindfulness-based stress reduction skills to address personal stress and to facilitate emotion regulation and healthy interactional patterns in couple relationships. Informational sessions are provided and the curriculum is highly interactive, focusing mainly on skills practice and “homework” practices.